Tuesday, September 14, 2010

There goes the neighborhood!

The ONE thing that I truly believe about is how Native Americans should have been credited more than they were. They original founders of the lands that Spain or the English had come upon. Yes there were many migrants and yes there is a fact that most are migrants. But your civilization is born where it is born. The fact that we celebrate Columbus Day is a little beyond me. Actually I know that some actual Natives don't celebrate (and actually oppose) Columbus Day. For them it was not a new land that was discovered, it was a land that became property. True Natives had their territory but that differs from treating land as a monetary source. Natives had traded their own crops and animals or furs for others' and thrived on the land for many years. True again that Natives are credited "a lot" however, Natives had actually helped the visitors survive and taught them about their land.

This reminds me of Avatar. It is hard to fill a cup that is already full. Fairly true. Columbus had come with a cup full of ego and wanting of fame and fortune. Sure he learned some things from the Natives but the new information was only flowing out of the cup. His mind was set on one thing, to Conquer or have power over this land. Either way. But of course. I'm Native and I want to speak for my own people. I do not know as much about my background as I wish to since my grandmother died along with the Native history she had. All I know is she left me a wolf's tooth as a totem.

I could go on. But I do not wish to dwell on a topic that I know "little" about.
SO!
As my ancestors would say; Hach awí (good night!).
(OH MY GOSH, FIRST PERSON! Needs a redo!)

No comments:

Post a Comment