Saturday, January 15, 2011

I Hear America Singing!

I don't get why anyone would sing about America, not much good to sing about it, that is.
But this is actually a fairly intricate poem about the good people of America and not the horrendous people of America.

Anyhow, this poem I loved most of all the readings we've done so far. At first I didn't get the meaning of why they would write this type of poem. The first thing I thought it related to was "the butcher, the baker and the candlestick maker" is what I thought the poet was talking about. But then as I kept reading, all of the "singers" were of middle class. After that, it all made sense. It was an accomplished feeling when I found out it was one of the questions to answer about it; "Who is missing from this poem?".

But the fact that it was about the working class it was a good poem on how they were to pass the time. What kept them working and working til the end of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment